Saturday, November 20, 2010

I have spoke with the tongue of angels and I have held the hand of the devil

Time is going by so fast. It felt like it was just yesterday I was heading off for orientation in Boston and now I am getting my affairs in order before I take off in 18 days. So much to do in such little time. I have been babysitting for a family since last Tuesday and it has been a roller-coaster. There have been many highs, but also many, many lows. When I say that, I mean the kids breaking down, crying, and fighting until there is only one left standing. It has been interesting and I am taking this as a learning experience. It is preparing me for anything and everything.

Expect the unexpected. I have learned that kids are quite amazing when they first wake up, but then by the end of the day, they are not your friend and they will let you know that. Also, I have learned that no matter what I may do to please a child, it is no good. I am making it seem like these kids are terrible, but they are kids and different ages. The oldest is a teenager, one is a pre-teen, and the other is just entering preschool. It's great hearing the preschooler's stories and hearing from her how school went. It's weird having the teenager ask me questions about my experiences in school, but it's cool nonetheless because I can tell him that it's not all bad and that school can be fun at times. I am still trying to find common ground with the pre-teen, but it's going to take some more work.

Their parents are amazing and obviously I can see how much they take an interest in their children. They have their kids involved in different types of sports and push them to go after the dreams. They are supportive and they are their kids' #1 cheerleaders. When their parents are home, they rarely want them sitting in front on the television or the iPad. Instead of video games, they want them to create art or read a book and if they have been in the house for too long, they encourage them to play outside in the yard or go to the park. This is a break from the world that awaits me.

Once this gig is done, I am back to packing for Chile, making sure all of my loans are taken care of and making sure I have said my good-byes. I will leave the comfort of this small town and return to the hustle and bustle of urban life. Instead of the light being lit by the moon and the star, will return the bright orange glow of the street lights. This is has been a good break, but I am excited for what is still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment